ECA is inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals to the “ECA Fellowships for Young African Professionals” programme.
The Fellowship programme is targeted at young Africans. Candidates applying for Fellowship position must be below 35 years of age when entering the programme. They must have Masters Degree or related Advanced degree. Candidates currently enrolled in a Ph.D programme or with an admission are also welcome to apply.
The programme aims to provide practical, on-the-job experience to the young professionals as they prepare either for a career in research and international development and the public sector. It will also familiarize them with the Commission's broad programmes and services to member States and sub-regional bodies in addressing the social dimensions of Africa's development.
In its efforts to reposition itself as a Think Tank of choice in Africa, ECA seeks to engage bright young Africans for skills development through their ECA Fellowships for Young African Professionals. This fellowship initiative is in line with the Commission’s effort to assist member States develop their capacities in economic and social policy research, development, implementation, analysis, governance, and monitoring and evaluation.
ECA is hereby inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the following thematic areas:
- Macroeconomic policy, Economic Governance & Public Finance;
- Private Sector Development & Finance, including Innovative Finance & Capital Markets;
- Poverty, Inequality and social development,
- Gender equality and women empowerment;
- Demographic Dynamics for Development;
- Innovation and Technology;
- Climate Change & Management of Natural Resources, including Green Economy;
- Industrialization and Economic Diversification Policies;
- Development Planning and Statistics;
- Regional Integration; Infrastructure and Trade;
- Labor Economics and Employment.
The ECA Fellowships aim to provide practical, on-the-job experience to the young professionals as they prepare either for a career in research and international development and the public sector.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Within delegated authority, the fellow will be responsible for the following duties:
- The Fellow(s) will agree to a work programme in the area of economic and social development defined mutually with the receiving/mentoring Division, Sub-Regional Office or Centre.
- The fellow(s) will contribute to the work of the Division, Sub-Regional Office or Centre by carrying out research, analytical studies, drafting reports and supporting other activities, as directed.
- Assignments within the areas of focus may include, but are not limited to, collecting, evaluating, interpreting, and analyzing economic, social and political development issues in the focus areas.
- The fellow(s) will also contribute to technical and policy reports, briefing notes, and support in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, workshops, and seminars; and fulfill various other
administrative tasks for the effective delivery of the activities.
Established by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (UN) in 1958 as one of the UN’s five regional commissions, ECA’s mandate is to promote the economic and social development of its member States, foster intra-regional integration, and promote international cooperation for Africa’s development.
Made up of 54 member States, and playing a dual role as a regional arm of the UN and as a key component of the African institutional landscape, ECA is well positioned to make unique contributions to address the Continent’s development challenges.
- The opportunity to familiarize with the Commission’s broad programmes and
services to member States and sub-regional bodies in addressing economic and social dimensions of Africa’s development priorities.
- A one-off settling-in grant of USD 3,000 and a monthly stipend of USD 3,000 for the duration of the fellowship.
- The candidate must have graduated before 1 March 2019 from either a Masters Degree or doctorate degree or equivalent;
- Should have interest in one or more of the identified thematic areas;
- Selected candidates will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work programme of the mentoring Division, Sub-Regional Office or ECA Centres, and contribute to other activities;
- Participate in national, regional or international meetings as assigned for exposure;
- Submit a peer reviewed research paper at the end of the assignment;
- Will be part of an alumni association of ECA Fellows and member of practicing international development “community of practice”.
- Candidates applying for the position must be 35 years of age or below, at the time of the application.
Eligible Regions: United Nations Economic Commission for Africa member States
Candidates must submit their applications together with the following documents:
- Cover letter
- UN Personal History Profile (PHP). This can be created at https://inspira.un.org
- A research proposal of not less than 1,000 words (in candidates’ preferred thematic area listed under General Information)
- Copy of academic certificates
- Copy of applicant’s national passport (information page only), and;
- Three letters of reference/recommendation
Applications with all the supporting documents should be emailed to the address indicated on the website, bearing the appropriate subject line.