Agricultural systems worldwide are facing a triple challenge: how to sustainably increase productivity, while reducing the impact of agriculture on climate change, and increasing resilience of agriculture and food value chains?
The Climate-Smart Agriculture Future of Farming
Climate-Smart Agriculture is focused on addressing these triple challenges of agriculture: productivity, climate adaptation, and climate mitigation. Climate-smart agriculture integrates the three dimensions of sustainable development (economic, social and environmental) by jointly addressing food security and climate challenges with three main pillars:
- sustainably increasing agricultural productivity and incomes;
- adapting and building resilience to climate change;
- reducing and/or removing greenhouse gases emissions, where possible.
Climate-smart agriculture is an integral part of the sustainable food and agriculture approach of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Climate-smart agriculture is in particular linked to the SDG 2.4, one of the prioritized sustainable development goals of the Belgian Development Cooperation.
1,750,000€ Grant Funding for Climate Smart Agriculture
Wehubit has launched a Call for Proposals to increase use and access to digital solutions that support adoption and scale of proven practical climate-smart agriculture methodologies and technologies to reach to the minds and hands of farmers.
Applicants can propose innovative digital solutions, including:
- The use of sensors and smart devices
- Inclusive knowledge management systems
- Remote sensing and geographic information systems
- Mobile applications and systems
- Communication technologies
- Blockchain and distributed ledger technologies
Applicants can request grant funding between 50,000 Euros and 350,000 Euros for each project and and the programme will finance 90% of eligible expenditures, with the applicant supporting the remaining 10%.
Wehubit is implemented by the Belgian development agency, Enabel, together with its partner, the Belgian Investment Company for Developing countries (BIO), on behalf of the Belgian development cooperation.
Grant Funding Eligibility
Wehubit supports scaling-up and replication of ICT4D projects that have successfully passed the pilot phase, in line with the nine Principles for Digital Development and the Digital for Development policy paper of the Belgian Development Cooperation
The Wehubit Digital for Development Programme supports multiple financing instruments to support and improve digitization to accelerate sustainable development, strengthening prosperity, reducing inequality and empowering people and businesses.
This call for proposals is specific to public or not-for-profit organizations in the 14 partner countries of the Belgian bilateral cooperation, which include:
- Burkina Faso
- DR Congo